Membership provides you with the cornerstone of a successful business through information, innovation, representation and education. As a member of the IMA you have access to educational programmes; regular magazines and newsletters; product launches; and conferences and seminars to enhance your business opportunities and ensure your staff are informed of the latest industry developments, practices and technologies.
Being a member of the IMA gives you a voice to influence the government and the future of your industry. The IMA can advise you through its national network on legislation and its requirements, whilst lobbying governments to protect the interest of your industry and business.
Access the world so it can access you - link your business through the IMA's Online Directory putting your business and services in front of national and international clients.
Members of the IMA are united in their aim to provide unsurpassed professionalism and client satisfaction. Members are required to commit to the IMA's Code of Conduct and Code of Ethics. These codes promote honesty, integrity and credibility with the public, clients and fellow members.
The IMA's publications serve to promote member interests. The AGENT, our digital magazine will keep you up to date on innovative technologies, legislative changes, industry news and best industry practices.
The Online Directory is a directory of financial members of the IMA listing their business and the services offered to promote their business. The directory is regarded as an essential daily tool by members and their clients alike. Ensure you avail yourself of every business opportunity by exposing your business as a member of the IMA. The online directory is used by clients ready to engage a collector, investigator, process server or repossession agent.
Information on entering the industry and licensing requirements in the various states and divisions is available here.
Join the Institute of Mercantile Agents today and enjoy the benefits of membership of a professional organisation immediately.
Sub-agents, those engaged in credit granting, credit collection, or other persons as may be determined by the National Board from time to time may be enrolled as affiliate members of the IMA.
Individuals, associations, partnerships, firms and corporations, each one of which must be engaged in or work full time as an employee in the business of a mercantile agent.
Any individual, association, partnership, firm or corporation which operates in more than one State or Territory of Australia may be enrolled as a national member of the IMA.
Any person undertaking a course of study approved by the National Board may be enrolled as a Student Member for a period not exceeding 5 years. Student Membership is not available to any individual already engaged in or working full time as an employee in the business of a mercantile agent.
Operators engaged by ordinary members in the course of their business in such professions as process serving, debt collections, repossessions and investigations or such other persons as may be determined by the National Board from time to time may be enrolled as operator members of the IMA.
Any individuals, associations, partnerships, firms or corporations, each one of which must be resident and engaged in the business of a Mercantile Agent outside Australia may be enrolled as an International Member of the IMA.
Benefits of Membership
|Advertise in AGENT magazine and on web|
|List in the Online Directory||*|
|Participate in Bonding Scheme|
|Codes of Ethics & Conduct apply|
|Attend Conferences at member rates|
|Receive AGENT digital magazine|
|Take advantage of member Discount Offers|
|Meetings - Attend|
|Meetings - Vote|
|Stand for Office||**|
= Yes, benefit applies
* = Able to advertise seeking employment opportunities only
** = One only per membership
effective 1 July 2016
Type of Membership Available
|Individual connected to/working in a member agency||$275.00||$250.00|
|Individual in collection department not being a mercantile agency||$450.00||$410.00|
|All others including corporations, suppliers and exhibitors||$880.00||$800.00|
|Individual (not a sole trader)||$450.00||$410.00|
|Sole traders, partnerships & corporations operating in one state/territory only||$550.00||$500.00|
|Public company or equivalent||$2,425.00||$2,205.00|
|Covers soles traders, partnerships & corporations operating beyond one state/territory|
|3 to 4 states||$1,440.00||$1,310.00|
|Greater than 4 states||$2,425.00||$2,205.00|
|Public company or equivalent||$2,425.00||$2,205.00|
|Please note all payments by credit card will incur a 2.0% surcharge|
Membership Application Process
By Law 2001.19.2 of the Institute explains the membership approval process:
- All individuals, associations, partnerships, firms and corporations seeking membership as an ordinary, national, affiliate or operator member of the Institute shall complete and lodge with the Institute’s National Secretary/ Executive Director an application form as set out in Annexure By Law 2001.1. Each application must be accompanied by the prescribed fees.
- Each application for membership received by the Institute’s National Secretary/ Executive Director shall be published in an Institute’s publication after consideration by the National Board.
- An applicant shall be admitted as a provisional member of the respective class of membership of the Institute applied for and such application shall be advertised in a publication of the Institute and if no written objection is received by the National Secretary/ Executive Director within 30 days after such publication the election to provisional membership will be ratified, cancelled or otherwise dealt with at the next meeting of the National Board, such decision being made upon obtaining a two thirds majority vote of the National Board.
- If an objection is received in writing such objection shall be considered at the next meeting of the National Board and if overruled by a two thirds majority vote of the National Board the applicant shall continue as a provisional member of the respective class of membership applied for.
- A successful applicant shall remain as having provisional membership status until full membership as an ordinary, national, affiliate or operator member is confirmed by the National Board or by the delegated authority of the Institute’s National Secretary/ Executive Director. Such provisional status shall not be less than twelve calendar months nor exceed eighteen calendar months from the date of admission to the Institute.